Monday, June 6, 2016

Obelisk Epilogue

Obelisk Epilogue
I'm pleased with the ending to my long poem this time, unlike 2007. When I first tried to write the Obelisk, I left a lot of gaps in the plot and made the ending too preachy. I also didn't like the association between the good Ophelia and the evil Moribund and found it impossible to resolve. But this time, I managed to tie it all together very nicely in the ending, even managing to explain some of the more far-fetched coincidences by 'act of gods'.

While Saturday Night Live wanted the world to focus on one line of a 512 line poem, the line about the frying pan in Part VII, in order to make my masterpiece look cheesy, in some ways, it's a very serious work. The tyrant's delusion, for instance, is highlighted by his absence from the gods in Part I and the tyrant's fear is, I think, very skillfully illustrated by what happens in Part VII. I enjoy philosophy and contemplating the correct use of power and it was most rewarding to be able to share my thoughts in such a colorful story. (By the way, unlike Blogger, my home text editor favors British spelling.)

My song, Currents, has the same epic feel as the Obelisk. I wrote the song while re-reading Virgil's Aeneid.

I'm still isolated, but I hope that one day I can finally get out there and meet people. I have never had many friends, but that's because I can have so much fun by myself with my work. It also lets me be more original and outstanding with my posts. I had to make a choice a long time ago between being a conformist and being an artist and I had to bow to my talent and choose the latter. And this internet is a great way for predators to pick on loners like me. As such, I think it is a grave threat to our most outstanding talent and to the integrity of our culture. I don't know how anyone can fully enjoy the radio or TV after it committed such a monstrous crime with my work. The networks seem to hope that people will stand by and let them abuse me. But I have more faith in people's goodness.

Anyway, I'd like to take a week off, if I can, and see if I can get a little ahead with my posts. I'll try to return with more good content for you.

Library patrons, now that I have declared my intention to stay offline for a week or so, please keep an eye on the library computers to make sure the home page has not been compromised by any malicious hackers. Don't let 'w3blog.org' attack my web page again please.
  
More Statements Scripts Songs
© 2016. Statements by David Skerkowski. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment