Friday, February 19, 2016

Smash Network Evil

Smash Network Evil
I think it's time to talk about network evil again, before it ruins another year for me. First, let me remind you all why I posted those poetic lampoons of stars and shows: Sappho Asparagus (Ellen), Jackie the Pro (Jay Leno), the Porcupine Girls (Dateline), Shorty Suffuse (George Carlin), the Cinnamon Gang (Saturday Night Live), Slick Singer (Mick Jagger), etc, etc, in 2007. This was out of concern for innocent fans. I wanted to break the bad news about their idols in the nicest way possible, so I used my talent to give it some charm. However, when I compared Jay Leno to a gangster, I was serious. I'm his victim. I was also serious when I compared Ellen to asparagus and the corrupt post-2000 cast of Saturday Night Live to donuts. I was serious when I compared the hosts of Dateline to witches. What happened to my message after they stole all these works? Wasn't that unspeakably evil for the networks to let my detractors pose as the authors of my parodies? When people are tricked into believing that a parody was authored by its target, it loses all meaning. It destroys the parody and all that is left over is perhaps a mediocre laugh from the author's peculiar language.

These TV stars should write their own parodies instead of destroying mine, especially when I'm using them to inform my readers about who they can trust on TV. Can't they write their own parodies? That's what they're paid for, isn't it? I sure as hell don't get any money for it. Why can't they at least steal from someone a little more financially secure?

So I don't think it's an improvement to pass the subjects of the parody off as its authors. On the contrary, I think it's the most destructive plagiarism that can possibly be committed by trusted public figures.
  
More Statements Scripts Songs
© 2016. Statements by David Skerkowski. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment